Dr. Cindy Hudson
Associate Professor, Founding Program Director
"A BSN degree will prepare an ADN nurse for expanding professional roles in an ever-changing healthcare environment."
- DNSc – University of Tennessee Science Center, 2004
- MSN Family Nurse Practitioner – University of Pittsburgh, 1997
- M.A. in Administration, Healthcare – Central Michigan University, 1982
- BSN – Duquesne University, 1976
I have over 19 years' experience in nursing education in BSN, RN to BSN, and MSN programs. I enjoy working with students and watching the "lights go on." My clinical practice spans neuropsychiatric, medical-surgical, primary care, OR and public health.
- Gary, J. & Hudson, C. E. (2016). Reverse Engineering: A strategy to teach evidence-based practice and writing competences to online RN to BSN students. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Hudson, C. E., Sanders, M. K., & Pepper, C. (2013). Interprofessional education and pre-licensure baccalaureate nursing students: An integrative review. Nurse Educator. 38 (2), 76-80. doi:10.1097/NNE.obo13e312996d.
- Hudson, C. E., Gaillard, S., & Duffy, N. (2011). University and veterans administration nursing academy partnership: Meeting the needs of veterans. Nurse Educator.36 (1), 7-8.
- Hudson, C. E. (2008) An integrative review of obesity prevention in African American children. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing. 31 (4), 147-170.
- Hudson, C. E. (2008). Being overweight and obese: Black children ages 2-5 years. The Association of Black Nursing Faculty Journal.19 (2), 89-91.
In which online program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach in the online RN to BSN program?
NURS 4314: Evidence-Based Practice, NURS 4410: Leadership Roles, and NURS 4310: Global Health Nursing
What types of projects can students expect in your online courses?
Interactive learning modules, discussions, presentations and written papers
What should students take away from your classes? What do they learn?
Students learn to express their informed opinion based on the science. I call it developing their voice.
How do students complete clinical obligations in the online program?
Tailored practice experiences
What advice would you give to those considering an online RN to BSN program?
Ask questions and get organized. Read the announcements, course schedule and syllabus.
What is the value of a BSN? What are some of the skills nurses gain in this program?
A BSN degree will prepare an ADN nurse for expanding professional roles in an ever-changing healthcare environment. Nurses should expect to gain skills in leadership, comprehensive assessment of individual and populations, reading and interpreting research to provide evidence-based practice care, advocacy, and refining communication (written/oral).
Why did you start teaching?
I started so I could make an impact on healthcare by teaching the next generation of nurses.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I served in both the U.S. Army Nurse Corps and the U.S. Public Health Service. I've lived in Spain and Germany and served on a medical mission's trip in central Mexico.