Are you interested in transitioning to a career with high, growing demand, as well as strong compensation, plenty of growth opportunities, mental stimulation and prestige? As the world becomes increasingly digital and technological, transition to the exciting, growing field of AI with a Master of Science in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in Artificial Intelligence from the University of Houston-Victoria (UHV). The online program provides training in many of the most high-demand and technologically advanced skills in the computer information systems field, including the following:
- OLAP and data warehousing: Online Analytical Processing and mining archived data
- Python: high-level, general-purpose programming language that emphasizes code readability
- Statistical Machine Translation: Machine translation model where translations are generated based on statistical models
- Natural Language Processing: Models that capture the semantic meanings of text (AI concentration only)
- Deep learning: models that support modern voice and image recognition (AI concentration only)
Virtually everyone knows that technology is where the jobs are, but in 2021, there were more than 500,000 open IT positions in the United States. The year 2021 was not an aberration but an indication of even greater demand to come; the number of IT and software jobs is expected to double in 10 years. Moreover, computing occupations now make up 67% of all anticipated new jobs in STEM fields, yet only 8% of STEM graduates study computer science — contributing to rising demand.
Compensation reflects the scarcity of talent to meet demand. For computer and information systems managers, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) shows a median pay (as of July 2022) of $159,010 per year, with an 11% projected job growth rate between 2020 and 2030. Since the average salary accounts for all degrees and certifications, it is likely to be significantly higher with a master’s degree. Additionally, the BLS reports that areas of cybersecurity and artificial intelligence will have exceptionally high demand and compensation going forward.
Salary.com shows the average base salary for jobs with artificial intelligence skills is $143,686. A lead AI engineer with a master’s degree earns an average annual salary from $142,713 to $206,088, according to Salary.com. However, salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors including education, certifications, additional skills and years of experience.
Is This the Right Career Transition for You?
The typical American worker now changes careers (not jobs) around 12 times before they retire. A transition to a career in computer information systems (CIS) and artificial intelligence (AI) may be ideal for you if you are looking for intellectual stimulation, variety in your day-to-day work and have a fascination with the subject and want to keep up with industry changes and technologies.
If the practical side of you finds a wide variety of career options appealing, then UHV’s online degree program may suit your goals. The curriculum prepares graduates to work in a variety of CIS and AI environments, including the following:
- Business operations management: Professionals in this area use information systems to gain cost and efficiency advantages over competitors.
- Business communication systems: This area improves the efficiency of gathering and distributing information within an organization.
- Company decision-making: Data and technology tools now guide executive decision-making, and this field uses data, modeling and other technologies to enable executives to arrive at smarter, more strategic business decisions.
- Company record-keeping: Information systems professionals organize data and use systems to present it as more useful information on which to analyze decisions and prepare forecasts.
- Systems intelligence design: Join the elite minds who create complex AI systems and make strategic choices about the components of large IT/AI systems.
- AI management: Behind the scenes, these professionals keep the hardware, software and technical implementations running.
- AI oversight & compliance: These pros keep AI systems running without compromise due to data errors and system glitches.
- Cybersecurity: Professionals in this critical field use state-of-the-art technologies to stay ahead of cyber criminals and protect vital digital assets, including company performance and private customer data.
Business Acumen and Soft Skills Complete Your Leadership Capabilities
As a complete leader of teams, departments and eventually organizations, you will require more than just state-of-the-art technical expertise. The UHV M.S. in Computer Information Systems online program with a concentration in Artificial Intelligence online curriculum prepares graduates to work across departments, understand how business functions interrelate and lead effectively at every level, using proven soft skills including communication and collaboration.
Learn more about the University of Houston – Victoria’s online Master of Computer Information Systems with a concentration on Artificial Intelligence program.